Blog Bird Background - a Reminder that God knows and still cares- even about my hair falling out.

Matthew 10:29-31 "What's the price of a pet canary? Some loose change, right? And God cares what happens to it even more than you do. He pays even greater attention to you, down to the last detail - even numbering the hairs on your head! So don't be intimidated by all this bully talk. You're worth more than a million canaries. (The Message Translation)



Sunday, April 6, 2008

William is 5!




My baby turns 5 on Monday! I can hardly believe how quickly the times flies, but it's true, he's already 5 and ready to start school this fall. William has been such a joy to us! He's an easy child in most ways, but very particular about things, and even though it's frustrating at times, it's something that makes him HIM. I know that his attention to detail is going to be a great thing for him as he gets older.

Since every mom loves re-telling her birth stories, I thought this would be a great time to re-tell Will's. I had worked my last day of work the Friday before I went into labor with the hope that I'd have the last two weeks before my due date to get things ready, finish Will's room and make sure the house was cleaned. Unfortunately, that plan was messed up when Monday morning, April 7th, at 8:00, I rolled out of bed and my water broke! I called Joel, who was just arriving at work, so he turned the car around and came home to get me. While I waited for him, I packed my bag and took a shower. Doesn't everyone shave their legs before they go to the hospital to give birth? Joel called people while he headed home to get me, and we arrived at the hospital just after 9:00. At 9:15, Joel's Grandpa Richard (who lived in Salem) came running (and I literally mean running!) down the hall. We were all excited to meet William, but he was so excited to meet his first great-grandchild that he was there before everyone who lived in Vancouver and Portland. That's some serious speeding! That is one of our most special memories of that day, especially now that Grandpa has gone home to be with the Lord. The grin on his face was priceless.
Joel's family has a tradition of as many family members that can going to the hospital when a baby is born. As the day progressed, so many people showed up that they had a whole waiting area crammed full and I think they actually ordered pizza for dinner. I don't remember all the details of everything that happened during the day, but I know I did get an epidural and that after 12 minutes of pushing, William Robert was born at 7:08 pm. Not bad for a day's work! He was 6lbs 13oz, and 18.5'' tall. He was named William Robert after Joel's grandpa William (Bill) Roberts who was Joel's best friend and confidante growing up. Grandpa Bill passed away shortly before Joel and I started dating and this was our way of honoring that friendship they had.
Shortly after William was born, we let everyone in at one time to say "Hi" so I could rest. You should see the picture (I don't have it here...I'll have to find it). Luckily the rooms were huge!

We love you with all our hearts, William. You have been a joy to us and we can't wait to see all the wonderful things God has in store for your life!
Love, Mommy & Daddy

3 comments:

Amy said...

Isn't it crazy how fast it goes? We are both going to have kindergartners this year! Thanks for sharing your birth story...I love hearing other people's experiences.

Jeremy said...

Happy Birthday William!

(I shaved my legs before Ian's birth too). LOL

Sounds like you had a LOT of support at the hospital! Did they do the same for the other kids' births?

Betsy said...

YES! Every one of Joel's cousins that's had a baby, they are there for (if they can of course). It's crazy, but it's also really nice to know you have that many people supporting you and praying for you!