Blog Bird Background - a Reminder that God knows and still cares- even about my hair falling out.

Matthew 10:29-31 "What's the price of a pet canary? Some loose change, right? And God cares what happens to it even more than you do. He pays even greater attention to you, down to the last detail - even numbering the hairs on your head! So don't be intimidated by all this bully talk. You're worth more than a million canaries. (The Message Translation)



Saturday, May 24, 2008

There must be a leak...

Last Thursday at my appointment with Dr. K., my platelet count was 617,000. A week later, on Thursday, it was 40,000. While 40k is better than 8k (which it was a couple weeks ago), it's still discouraging that I lost almost 600,000 platelets in only a week! I have started the steroid 'pulse' and am on day three of the nasty pills. They only come in 4mg pills (it's dexamethasone, not prednisone this time) so I get to take a handful of 10 each morning. I am allowed to spread them throughout the day, but since the large dose makes it harder to sleep, I prefer to take them all at once in the morning with breakfast. I'm going Monday (my last day on this round of steroids) to the hospital to have my count checked again. Then, I go Tuesday to have a bone density scan done to check for bone deterioration. I had a bone scan done a couple weeks ago, but I guess they are different scans. Nice of them to tell me that up front! I feel as though I've unwillingly donated my body to science sometimes!

Anyway, that's the news for now. I'll post more Monday or Tuesday after I get my count back.

No comments: